3D printing is a great way to get students interested in mechanical engineering and CAD. Unfortunately many schools do not have the funds or budget flexibility to purchase a 3D printer. We have been brainstorming and want to share some fundraising ideas. With a little planning and community support your students could soon be on their way to a stimulating engineering and technology lesson. Who knows, you just might be opening the door for students to fall in love with a STEM education field they did not know existed.
- A bake sale for the school and local community
- A school event in which proceeds (from ticket sales) go towards your 3D printer purchase (such as a student art night, student dance show, student play, etc.)
- A technology collection at your next school fair
- A school-wide fundraiser over the course of an academic year (nothing is more fun than a grade or classroom challenge)
- Contact the 3D printing company and ask for a school discount
Look Ma, I Made It Myself! 10 Amazing Things 3-D Printers Can Do Now
What other fundraising ideas do you have? If you have raised funds to purchase a 3D printer or other piece of technology for your school please share you success story with us so that it can help inspire others!